Improvement and Early Intervention
The Minister for Local Government or his/her delegate has powers under the Local Government Act to intervene in councils when they are dysfunctional or failing to meet their legal obligations. To help councils achieve the necessary improvement, the Minister can:
- issue a Performance Improvement Order to encourage councils to drive their own improvement
- suspend a council for up to 3 months, with a possible extension of a further three months in more serious cases. This power can be characterised as a ‘time out’.
Such action is aimed at preventing the need for more serious action such as a public inquiry which could result in the dismissal of all councillors.
- Improvement and Intervention Framework in relation to NSW councils
- Framework for Implementing Early Intervention Orders
- Information sheet for councils
- Information sheet for interim administrators
- Information sheet for temporary advisers
- Performance order summary sheet for councils
- Suspension order summary sheet for councils