Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content

How do you register your dog or cat?

You must register your cat or dog with your local council. You will need to present:

  • the fee
  • a signed Lifetime Registration (R2) Form
  • a copy of your cat or dog's Permanent Identification (P1A) Form or Verification of Existing Microchip (M1) Form completed by an Authorised Identifier, or Certificate of Identification.
  • proof of desexing, if applicable. This may take the form of a Certificate of Sterilisation or receipt containing microchip number from a Vet or a statutory declaration from a previous owner stating that the cat or dog has been desexed and is permanently incapable of reproduction.
  • any other document entitling you to a discount, for example, a pensioner concession card or recognised breeder identification.

Your local council will issue a Certificate of Registration to you after your cat or dog is registered. The Certificate will include the registration information recorded on the NSW Companion Animals Register. If your contact details change you must notify a local council within 14 days of the change as penalties may apply. Keeping your contact details up to date will assist in the return of your cat or dog should it become lost or stray.

Back to top