Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content

I have a complaint about a nuisance cat - what should I do?

In the first instance, speak to the owner of the cat and try to find a mutually-agreeable solution to the problem. If this proves unsuccessful or you are not comfortable with this approach, contact your local council.

Your local council will have an established procedure for investigating, and taking action against, an owner whose cat is allowed to cause a nuisance by making excessive noise and/or damaging or otherwise interfering with property.

Your council, may require more than one complaint to progress an investigation. Talk to neighbours to see if they share your concerns.

If they do, encourage them to write to the local council too. Having multiple complaints enables your local council to make a stronger case for taking action and ensures that it has the appropriate standard of evidence to prove a case in court, if required.

Your local council may ask you to keep a log of when the cat is damaging or otherwise interfering with your property and/or making excessive noise.

If your local council identifies a serious or ongoing problem, it may issue a nuisance order requiring the cat's owner to prevent the behaviour specified in the order. If the problem persists, your local council may issue penalty notices, with the amount of the fine increasing for the second offence.

The maximum penalty for failure to comply with a nuisance order issued in relation to a cat is $330 for a first offence and $880 for a second or subsequent offence.

Back to top