Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content

What must you do if your restricted dog goes missing or dies?

If your dog is a restricted dog and it goes missing, you must notify your local council within 24 hours of first noticing that your dog has gone missing.

Your local council will change the status of your dog on the NSW Companion Animals Register to 'missing' and lock the microchip record, so that it cannot be changed until your dog is found. This prevents anyone from claiming to be your dog's owner, for example, if it has been stolen. If you suspect that your dog may have been stolen, you may also wish to report this to NSW Police.

It is important to confirm that your contact details are correct when you report your dog as missing, so that you can be contacted when your dog is found.

You may also consider contacting local vets and approved animal welfare organisations, such as the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Animal Welfare League, to check if a dog with your dog's microchip number or matching your dog's description has been found.

If you own a restricted dog and it dies, you must notify your local council as soon as practicable after the dog's death.

Back to top