Budget delivers long-term vision for councils
Wendy Tuckerman – Minister for Local Government
Tuesday, 21 June 2022
Councils across the State will benefit from key measures in the 2022-23 NSW Budget, including continued support for local government areas affected by this year’s devastating floods.
Minister for Local Government Wendy Tuckerman said the NSW Government’s support for the State’s 128 councils would enable them to focus on delivering services for residents and ratepayers.
“Councils have a key role in delivering infrastructure, facilities and services for their residents and ratepayers,” Mrs Tuckerman said.
“They are at the coalface of community services, such as the flood recovery under way across the state, long-term coastal and estuary management and animal welfare management, so it is critical that we continue to support them.
Highlights of the 2022-23 Budget for local government include:
- $80 million for a working capital fund to provide concessional loans to councils when residents are unable to repay their rates due to hardship from the floods, and to assist in recovery support
- More than $78 million in 2022-23 to help councils ease cost-of-living pressures for pensioners with discounts on rates and charges
- $43 million paid in 2021-22 to councils to fully offset the 2022-23 increase in the Emergency Services Levy
- More than $22 million over three years to boost Our Coast, Our Future technical support and grants for implementation of coastal management programs
- $6 million from the Companion Animals Fund for councils to manage pet cats and dogs, including pounds and shelters, ranger services, dog exercise areas and education and awareness programs
- $6 million to support Lismore Council with reconstruction and transformation programs
- $3 million for the Local Infrastructure Renewal Scheme to help councils pay for loans for upgrades and maintenance of infrastructure
- $3 million to fund charitable organisations, including $2.5 million to RSPCA NSW and $500,000 to Sydney Dogs and Cats Home
MEDIA: Damien Bolte | Minister Tuckerman | 0498 359 624
|PDF Version||Ministerial Media Release – 21 June 2022|