Supporting councils to support communities
Shelley Hancock Minister for Local Government
Tuesday, 18 June 2019
The 2019-20 NSW Budget highlights the NSW Government’s commitment to support and strengthen local councils so they can better serve their communities.
Minister for Local Government Shelley Hancock said this Budget builds on the NSW Government’s past commitments to ensure local councils have the capacity to deliver for their residents.
“Since 2011 this Government has provided more than $9 billion in financial support to NSW councils to deliver and improve local infrastructure, services and facilities for their communities.
“This Budget will ensure local councils can continue to deliver effective leadership, provide good governance and improve services and infrastructure local communities need and deserve.”
Budget highlights include:
- $79 million to help local councils provide pensioner discounts on rates and charges
- $54 million for councils to manage the NSW coastline and mitigate future coastal risks and hazards as part of the Coastal and Estuary Grants Program
- $31 million over 8 years to provide low interest loans to councils to invest in infrastructure to address housing affordability
- $14 million to support councils through the Local Infrastructure Renewal Scheme
- $57 million over four years to deliver a range of projects to support and strengthen regional communities through grants to local councils supporting tourism and economies across New South Wales.
“We are committed to working collaboratively with local councils to strengthen their capacity to build strong, healthy and prosperous local communities.”
MEDIA: Nicholas Story | Minister Hancock | 0438 255 020
|PDF Version of Media Release:||Ministerial Media Release- 18/06/2019 – Supporting Councils to Support Communities – PDF|