Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content

Our investigations role

The role of the Office of Local Government is to provide a framework to enable councils to operate to a high standard. Local councils are autonomous bodies with their own rights and powers under law.

Many people write to the Minister for Local Government and/or the Office of Local Government asking for the council to be directed to take or not take a particular course of action. However, under the legislation we have limited powers to intervene in the decision making and functions of individual councils.

This is why complaints should be made to the council in the first instance. Many problems ultimately have to be resolved by the council without outside involvement.

If you have tried to resolve your issue with council and have been unsuccessful, you can contact us by telephone to check whether we can assist you before putting your concern in writing. Our telephone number is 02 4428 4100.

We cannot assist with:

  • Legal questions - information on legal services is available from the Legal Information Access Centre.
  • Court appeal or review rights - we do not assist with matters that may be subject to review by a court.
  • Development and planning decisions - you may wish to contact Planning and Infrastructure.
  • Rates and charges - the setting of rates and charges is a matter for the council.
  • Corruption – contact the ICAC.
  • Employment grievances – contact the Office of Industrial Relations, Unions NSW or a trade union.
  • Duplication - we will not normally make enquiries where the complaint has also been referred to another more appropriate agency.
Back to top