Minister's Awards for Women in Local Government 2019
The Minister's Awards for Women in Local Government celebrate the contribution of women to local government in NSW. In addition to recognising the significant contribution of Award winners, the Awards aim to encourage more women to take on leadership roles in local government in NSW.
In 2019 metropolitan and rural/regional councils are each awarded for each of the following five categories:
- Elected Representative.
- GM/Senior Staff Member – GM or senior staff positions as defined by councils in the Local Government Directory.
- Non-Senior Staff Member - aimed at women who may not have worked in local government for long, or at a senior level, but who have demonstrated significant achievement and leadership.
- Women in non-traditional roles – a role that is traditionally held by men where the nominee is the first to enter into that role at their Council or is breaking down gender stereotype barriers and conventions to perform the functions of any given role.
- Women in traineeships or apprenticeships – this category will recognise the achievements of outstanding individuals who have undertaken traineeships in the local government sector.
Nominations for the 2019 awards are open until 5:00pm on Friday, 29 March 2019.
The Awards will be presented by the Minister for Local Government All nominees are encouraged to attend the presentation. Invitations will be sent closer to the date.
Nominations must identify the relevant category and type of council
Nominations must address all selection criteria, which are broad, to encourage as wide a range of nominations as possible. Nominations must include specific achievements and/or examples that relate to Criterion 2 below.
A. The nominee is a current female member of staff or a female elected representative of a NSW council.
B. The nominee must provide a brief summary of at least one specific example (agreed by the nominee and nominator) to support the nomination, demonstrating tangible outcomes achieved and outstanding performance.
C. The nominee must have gone above and beyond their expected role to make a significant contribution to their council, their community and/or the local government sector in NSW through each of the following:
(1) Achieving a beneficial outcome through an event or series of actions.
(2) Providing inspiration, innovation and/or leading by example.
(3) Working towards increasing the level of women's participation in local government elected, employed or volunteer roles. Challenging gender stereotypes and conventions.
Nominations may highlight the contributions made by women towards any aspect of local government, not just for contributions towards initiatives for women.
Download the 2019 nomination form
Nominations can be made by completing and forwarding the nomination form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting it to ‘Minister's Awards for Women in Local Government’, Office of Local Government, Locked Bag 3015, Nowra NSW 2541.
- Nominees must agree to the nomination by signing the nomination form.
- Nominations must be seconded by another person besides the nominator.
- The nominee and nominator must ensure that all information provided is complete and accurate.
- Previous nominees are eligible for nomination, although previous winners are not eligible to receive an award for a category in which they have previously been awarded.
- The cost of nominees attending the Awards presentation is to be borne by their council (or by the nominee).
- The nominee’s supervisor/manager and their Council’s General Manager must be made aware of the nomination in order to facilitate attendance at the Awards presentation.
- Details of Award winners and their nomination may be made available on the websites of OLG, Women NSW, LGNSW, LGPA and ALGWA, and may be used in media releases, together with any photographs taken at the Awards function.
- Supporting information may be attached to the nomination but should be kept to a minimum (resumes and references should not be attached). Supporting documentation will not be returned.