Ministers' Awards for Women in Local Government 2020
Nominations open for Ministers’ Awards for Women in Local Government
The NSW Government is encouraging local communities across the State to celebrate the achievements of female councillors and council staff by calling for nominations for the 2020 Ministers’ Awards for Women in Local Government.
Now in their 13th year, the awards are an opportunity to officially recognise female senior staff and elected representatives as well as women behind the scenes making a positive difference in local government.
This year the NSW Government has announced new award categories to better reflect contemporary approaches to gender equality and changes in the local government sector.
The new award categories are:
- Minister’s Award – for a female councillor or council staff member for delivering quality outcomes and innovation in helping women in their local community (nominations not required)
- Employment Diversity Award – a successful council program to increase female participation in senior leadership roles or at the elected representative level
- Elected Representative Award – a councillor who has advanced the position of female elected representatives
- Champion of Change Award – a general manager or senior manager who has excelled in supporting and encouraging women's participation at their council
- Alternative Pathways Award – a female staff member who is the first to enter a role traditionally held by men or is breaking down gender stereotypes
- Young Achiever’s Award – an outstanding trainee/apprentice (aged under 25).
As well as recognising the vital role of women in delivering the facilities and services communities expect, the awards also aim to encourage more women get involved in local government and take on leadership roles.
Nominations can be made using this nomination form and close on 12 February 2020. The awards will be presented at an official function at NSW Parliament House on March 24.
Please contact your OLG Council Engagement Officer should you have any questions regarding the nomination process