The NSW Government recognises that councils are playing a critical role in protecting the community from the transmission of COVID-19. Central to this has been their ongoing engagement and education of the community in relation to COVID-19 restrictions in public spaces and council-owned facilities.
As restrictions ease and the focus moves towards recovery, the NSW Government is requesting that councils build on their community safety role by engaging with local businesses that need assistance in complying with COVID-19 Public Health Orders.
The NSW Government has developed the COVID Safe website which provides a way for customers to give feedback to businesses and to regulators for action where necessary.
In some cases, feedback about businesses who may not be fully complying with the Public Health Order may be provided to councils through the Office of Local Government and NSW Food Authority.
Councils are asked to engage with identified businesses through targeted site visits, the primary purpose of which will be to guide and assist business operators towards compliance with the Public Health Orders.
All enforcement action will remain a matter for the NSW Police Force and other relevant State agencies.
This webpage provides links to key resources for councils including a site visit checklist, educational material which can be provided to businesses during visits and other supporting information.
Resources for councils
- COVID-19 Business Safety: Site visit checklist for NSW Councils – This checklist is designed for NSW council officers undertaking site visits to businesses to provide information about COVID Safe restrictions and encourage compliance with the requirements of the latest Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order
- Note: For visits undertaken by council Environmental Health Officers to food and drink premises – please use the checklist developed by the NSW Food Authority which is available on the Food Regulation Partnership Portal
- Council officer education presentation – This presentation provides information for council officers about: current COVID restrictions, requirements for businesses, how councils can assist, and where to find further information
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Council Circular 20-22 – Supporting local businesses to comply with COVID-19 restrictions.
- Latest information about Public Health Orders and restrictions
- COVID Safety Plan templates and checklists by industry group
- NSW Health COVID Safe resources – comprehensive educational resources including fact sheets, brochures and posters which councils can provide to local businesses and community members
- Helping Business Info Graphic and COVID Safe Businesses A5 poster – Councils can provide this information to businesses during site visits
- NSW Food Authority Food Regulation Partnership Portal – including links to information and checklists relevant to restaurant, food court and café visits
- Safe Work NSW – including information about how businesses can manage the risk of COVID-19 to workers and others in the work environment
- Service NSW – including information for businesses and relief and assistance packages for many industries.