Resolving a problem with your council

If you have a concern about a council you should try to resolve it with the council in the first instance. If you are unhappy with the response from the council, you should write to council’s General Manager and ask them to look into the matter for you.

When you write to the General Manager, make sure your letter is clear and to the point. Describe the problem in a couple of sentences, tell the council what you need and ask for action. You need to allow the council a reasonable period to respond. For routine matters, you should generally allow four weeks – more complex matters may take longer to examine. If the council’s response is incomplete or unclear, write again to seek clarification. If after receiving the council’s response, your problem remains unresolved, you may need to consider taking the issue up with your local elected councillors or the Mayor.

The Office of Local Government’s investigations role is limited. For further information regarding our role, please refer to the Understanding OLG Complaint Handing section.

You may need to get your own legal advice and/or contact one of the following agencies preferably by telephone in the first instance:

Complaints Resolving a Problem


NSW Ombudsman

Independent Commission Against Corruption