Companion Animals Taskforce
The Companion Animals Taskforce was established by the Minister for Local Government and the Minister for Primary Industries to provide advice on key companion animal issues, including strategies to reduce the rate of companion animal euthanasia.
Specifically, the Ministers asked the Taskforce to inquire into:
- Euthanasia rates and re-homing options for surrendered or abandoned companion animals
- The breeding of companion animals including the practices of “puppy farms”
- The sale of companion animals
- The microchipping and desexing of companion animals
- Current education programs on “responsible pet ownership”
- Dangerous dogs
- Any other high priority companion animal issues that become apparent to the Taskforce.