21-08 Consultation on draft Model Social Media and Councillor and Staff Interaction Policies and on the development of a Model Media Policy
|Circular Details||21-08 / 28 May 2021 / A730741|
|Previous Circular||19-13 The development of template social media and councillor/staff interaction policies – initial consultation|
|Who should read this||Councillors / General Managers / All council staff|
|Contact||Council Governance / (02) 4428 4100 / email@example.com|
|Action required||Response to OLG|
|PDF Version||21-08 Consultation on draft Model Social Media and Councillor and Staff Interaction Policies and on the development of a Model Media Policy|
What’s new or changing
- The Office of Local Government (OLG) has issued consultation drafts of a Model Social Media Policy and Model Councillor and Staff Interaction Policy.
- OLG is seeking the views of councils and other stakeholders on the consultation drafts prior to finalising the model policies.
- The model policies have been developed using a “best of breed” approach to existing council policies and reflect what OLG sees as best practice in the sector.
- OLG is also developing a Model Media Policy and is seeking input by councils on their existing media policies.
- The model policies will not be mandatory, and councils will be free to choose whether to use them or to adapt them for their own purposes. If adopted, the policies will operate to supplement the provisions of councils’ adopted codes of conduct.
What this will mean for your council
- OLG is inviting submissions from councils and other stakeholders on the consultation drafts of the Model Social Media Policy and Model Councillor Staff Interaction Policy.
- OLG is also seeking the following from councils to assist in the development of the Model Media Policy, copies of or links to councils’ media policies; and suggestions on what issues and behaviours should be addressed in the Model Media Policy.
- The draft Model Social Media and Councillor and Staff Interaction Policies are available on OLG’s website at www.olg.nsw.gov.au.
- Information gathered on councils’ media policies will be used to develop a draft Model Media Policy. OLG will consult further with the sector on a draft of the Model Media Policy when it is developed.
- Submissions may be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submissions should be labelled either “Model Social Media Policy”, “Model Councillor and Staff Interaction Policy”, or “Model Media Policy” and marked to the attention of OLG’s Council Governance Team.
- Submissions should be made before Friday 23 July 2021.
Where to go for further information
- For further information, contact OLG’s Council Governance Team on (02) 4428 4100.
Acting Deputy Secretary
Local Government and Planning Policy