15-03 – Disability Inclusion Action Planning requirements of local councils
What’s new or changing
- Transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), and the transition of Ageing, Disability & Home Care (ADHC) funding to the National Disability Insurance Agency.
- By mid-2018 every eligible person in NSW will receive their disability support funding through the NDIS. ADHC will no longer provide funding directly to service providers, including local government.
- The new Disability Inclusion Act commits NSW Government departments, local councils and other public authorities to work to make communities more inclusive and accessible for people with disability.
What this will mean for your council
- The Disability Inclusion Act requires all local government organisations to produce a Disability Inclusion Action Plan (DIAP) setting out measures enabling people with a disability to access general support and services and fully participate in the community.
- There are implications for local government service delivery. ADHC is currently working with the disability sector to strategically plan for the changes, and ADHC officers will liaise with local government disability service managers around contractual matters and change management.
- The Office of Local Government and Local Government NSW were consulted during the development of the NSW Disability Inclusion Act.
- The Department of Family and Community Services will work with local councils to ensure they are aware of the DIAP requirements, and to integrate DIAP development and reporting into local government planning cycles under the Integrated Planning and Reporting framework.
- Under the Disability Inclusion Act, the Disability Council has an expanded role which includes advice to Government and local councils on disability inclusion planning.
- Resources are available for local councils under the National Disability Services Industry Development Fund for use in local disability planning processes.
Where to go for further information
- Information about the Industry Development Fund can be found at http://www.adhc.nsw.gov.au/sp/training_and_development/industry_development_fundand http://www.idfnsw.org.au.
- For more information regarding the changes to disability services funding and the NDIS generally, contact Ms Wendy Noller, A/Director Sector Readiness, on (02) 9377 6409 or email email@example.com.
Acting Chief Executive