15-13 – Fit for the Future Expert Panel
What’s new or changing
- The Minister for Local Government has announced that the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) will undertake the role of the Expert Panel in assessing councils’ Fit for the Future proposals.
- IPART will be inviting submissions on the proposed assessment methodology.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils will have the opportunity to shape the assessment methodology before finalising and submitting their proposals.
- The appointment of the Expert Panel marks the next step in the Fit for the Future process (see Ministerial Circular 15-03).
- The Premier has appointed an additional tribunal member, Mr John Comrie, to support IPART in its deliberations. Mr Comrie has extensive knowledge of the local government sector and has previously provided advice to the Independent Local Government Review Panel and Local Government NSW on council sustainability issues.
- The Terms of Reference for the Expert Panel were developed in consultation with Local Government NSW, Local Government Professionals Australia and the United Services Union.
- IPART will conduct four regional workshops during May as part of the consultation process. Details of times and venues are available on IPART’s website.
- The OLG will continue to offer support to councils preparing their submissions via the One Stop Shop. All enquiries regarding the assessment methodology consultation should be directed to IPART.
Where to go for further information
- Details of the IPART consultation process are available at: http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au
- Support for councils preparing their Fit for the Future proposals is available at: http://www.fitforthefuture.nsw.gov.au/one-stop-shop