15-17 – Fit for the Future – Methodology and templates
What’s new or changing
- IPART has issued the final methodology for its assessment of councils’ Fit for the Future proposals, as well as details about the proposal submission that will be through an online portal.
- Revised templates capturing additional data requested by IPART (ie: for the 2014/15 and 2015/16 financial years in relation to all templates, and for the 2020/21 to 2023/24 period in relation to Template 3), are available on the Fit for the Future website.
- IPART has stressed it will be taking a holistic approach to assessing whether councils are Fit For the Future
- It has stated there is no one-size-fits-all measure or population size in assessing a council’s scale.
- It has clarified that there is no overall pass or fail mark for the criteria of sustainability, effectiveness, and efficiency.
What this will mean for your council
- IPART notes that the limited modifications to the assessment methodology should make it easier for councils to lodge their proposals by the 30 June 2015 deadline.
- Councils are encouraged to review the final assessment methodology to determine any impact on their Fit for the Future proposals.
- The revised templates are to be used for councils’ Fit for the Future submissions through the IPART online portal.
- The revised templates include only minor changes from the templates previously provided by the OLG.
- The additional data requested by IPART was flagged in the draft assessment methodology consultation paper.
- The Fit for the Future timeframes are not impacted by the recently announced NSW Parliament’s General Purpose Standing Committee No. 6. inquiry into local government. Submissions to this inquiry close on 5 July 2015.
- Council Fit for the Future proposals are due to IPART by 30 June 2015.
Where to go for further information
Fit for the Future templates are available at: http://www.fitforthefuture.nsw.gov.au/preparing-proposal
Information about IPART’s assessment methodology and the online submission process can be found at: http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/Home/Industries/Local_Govt