15-33 – Review of Swimming Pool Barrier Requirements
What’s new or changing?
- The Minister for Local Government, the Hon Paul Toole MP, has commissioned an independent review of backyard swimming pool barrier requirements. The Review is being undertaken by Mr Michael Lambert.
- The review aims to simplify the regulatory framework and encourage greater barrier compliance in order to help reduce child drowning deaths and near drowning injuries.
- A Discussion Paper has been released by Mr Lambert to help inform development of recommendations. A Final Report will be delivered to the NSW Government in December 2015.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils are encouraged to provide feedback to the discussion paper on key issues being raised during the review process.
- Mr Lambert has consulted with a number of local councils, water safety advocates, peak industry bodies, government agencies and the swimming pool industry. These consultations have informed the Discussion Paper.
Where to go to provide a submission
- The discussion paper is available from the Office of Local Government’s website at www.olg.nsw.gov.au.
- Submissions can be submitted through an online questionnaire available on the OLG website. Councils also have the option of attaching an additional submission.