16-10 – Model Asbestos Policy Update for NSW Councils
What’s new or changing
- The November 2012 Model Asbestos Policy for NSW Councils has been updated by the Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA).
- The updated policy, dated November 2015, incorporates guidance on two new categories of asbestos, being ‘loose fill’ and ‘naturally occurring’.
What this will mean for your council
- The 2012 Model Asbestos Policy was issued as a guideline under section 23A of the Local Government Act 1993 for councils to implement an asbestos policy.
- This update is provided to councils to incorporate the additional information into their existing asbestos policy.
- It is anticipated that a new section 23A Model Asbestos Policy will be issued shortly.
- The updated policy and a supporting guide to assist NSW councils in developing their asbestos policy is available on the Local Government NSW website at http://www.lgnsw.org.au/policy/asbestos-model-policy
- Councils in fulfilling their legislative obligations to asbestos management should consider the updated Model Asbestos Policy.
- Councils that already have an asbestos policy are strongly encouraged to review the policy and amend it as necessary to ensure the policy is consistent with the updated Model Asbestos Policy.
Where to go for further information
- Local Government NSW has been funded to assist councils develop local asbestos policies using the Model Asbestos Policy. Further information is available on the websites of the Office of Local Government, Local Government NSW and HACA or by contacting Amy Lovesy, Project Manager, Asbestos Policy, Local Government NSW via email: email@example.com
Acting Chief Executive