16-34 – $5 million NSW Boating Now grant program open for boat trailer parking solutions
What’s new or changing
- On 6 September 2016, Transport for NSW (TFNSW) announced that a $5 million Boat Trailer Storage Grants Program is available under the NSW Boating Now program to support the delivery of alternative viable storage facilities and solutions for boat trailers.
- The Boat Trailer Storage Grants Program aims to reduce the number of boat trailers parked on residential streets, particularly in high density areas.
- All interested parties, including councils, businesses, community groups and the boating industry, are encouraged to apply.
- Grants Program applications must be made to TFNSW by midnight on Friday, 2 December 2016.
- The Grants Program complements the recent Impounding Act 1993 (the Act) amendments, which three pilot councils began implementing in July 2016. Additional councils will begin implementing the powers from October 2016.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils are encouraged to apply for the Grants Program, if appropriate, and to work with other interested stakeholders to identify opportunities for improved boat trailer storage solutions in their areas.
- The Office of Local Government (OLG) has been notified of a number of councils intending to “opt in” to the Act powers from October 2016. Councils must do so by publishing an Order in the NSW Government Gazette, and interested councils should contact OLG for further information regarding the making of Orders and the Gazettal.
- OLG has developed a brochure providing an overview of the boat trailer impounding powers, which is available for download from OLG’s website. Councils are encouraged to use this brochure in any community consultation they undertake regarding the laws.
- Councils requiring additional time for community consultation on the application of the powers should advise OLG if they are intending to commence in early 2017.
- Canada Bay City Council, Northern Beaches Council (in the former Pittwater Council area only) and Woollahra Municipal Council commenced the boat trailer impounding powers as part of a pilot program in July 2016.
- OLG will be reviewing the pilot program and will provide further guidance to councils on the implementation of the powers by the end of the year.
Where to go for further information
- More information on applying for the Boat Trailer Storage Grants Program, including application forms and assessment criteria, is available at http://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/boating-now/index.html
- Further information about the boat trailer impounding powers and where they apply (including a downloadable brochure) can be found on OLG’s Boat Trailers webpage at http://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/boattrailers
Acting Chief Executive