17-24 – Guidelines for Council When Notification of an Intention to use Fireworks is Received
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 17-24 / 30 August 2017 / A510222||Contact: Policy Team / 02 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: 08-66||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: General Manager / Planning / Corporate & Community Services||Action required: Information|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 17-24 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- SafeWork NSW has updated the 2008 Guidelines, which provide councils with a standard framework when deciding whether to raise an objection with SafeWork NSW about a fireworks display for which a council has received notification.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils have responsibilities in the management and use fireworks in their local government area, and these have not changed.
- The Explosives Regulation 2013 requires that as a condition of each pyrotechnician’s licence and fireworks (single use) licence issued, the licensee must notify the local council of an intention of use.
- If council objects to an application, it must inform the licensee and SafeWork NSW, which has responsibility for the licensing conditions of fireworks.
- These Guidelines are issued under s23A of the Local Government Act 1993, and councils must consider the Guidelines after receiving a fireworks notification.
- Councils must report objections and late applications for the intention to use any firework to SafeWork NSW.
- Pyrotechnician’s or fireworks licences are issued by SafeWork NSW by way of the Explosives Regulation 2013.
- It is a condition of each pyrotechnician’s licence that a notified fireworks display is not to proceed if:
- any authorities (such as local council, NSW Police Force, Fire & Rescue NSW) that are notified of the display raise objections to the display; and
- the licensee has not been able to resolve the objections with the authority.
Where to go for further information
- For further information, or to object to a display, contact SafeWork NSW, by calling 13 10 50 or email email@example.com
Acting Chief Executive