17-25 – Container Deposit Scheme and waste management contracts
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 17-25 / 7 September 2017 / A563176||Contact: Policy Team / (02) 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: Nil||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: General Managers, Waste Management Coordinators||Action required: Information|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 17-25 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- The NSW Container Deposit Scheme (the Scheme) will commence on 1 December 2017, with a 10 cent refund claimable on eligible containers.
- Under the Scheme, operators of Material Recovery Facilities (MRFs) will be able to claim a portion of the refund on containers collected from kerbside recycling using the MRF Protocol.
What this will mean for your council
- MRFs can begin claiming a refund on containers they process for councils on 1 December 2017. However, MRFs can only continue to claim the refund after 1 December 2018 where:
- if there is no existing refund-sharing agreement, the MRF and council have put a refund-sharing agreement in place; or
- if there is an existing refund-sharing agreement, where the council has notified the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) in writing that in the circumstances it is fair and reasonable.
- Councils with waste management arrangements with MRFs should consider updating their contracts to share in the benefits of the Scheme.
- Councils should be aware that the NSW Government will provide support to councils to assist with renegotiation of kerbside waste management contracts and other agreements affected by the Scheme.
- This support aims to ensure that councils and their ratepayers are well placed to share in the proceeds of refunds claimed under the Scheme.
- The EPA will make more detailed information available to councils during September 2017, along with communication and marketing support for engagement with residents.
- Councils are encouraged to consider taking advantage of this support before finalising waste management contract renegotiations.
Where to go for further information
- More information on the rollout of the Scheme is available on the EPA website: www.epa.nsw.gov.au/waste/container-deposit-scheme.htm
Acting Chief Executive