17-31 – Updated Practice Note 15 – Water Safety
What’s new or changing
- Coinciding with the beginning of the 2017/18 swimming season, Practice Note 15 – Water Safety (the Practice Note) has been updated to reflect key legislative changes and the latest best practice advice. Key updates include:
- the national vocational education and training framework
- risk management categories for public pools and other still water environment
- resources to assist councils with their water safety awareness promotional activities
- rock fishing safety legislation
- updated signage and risk management information.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils should now refer to this latest version of the Practice Note for guidance on carrying out water safety functions.
- Councils are encouraged to promote water safety awareness at key times during the swimming season to help reduce drowning risks in backyard swimming pools, public pools, beaches and other waterways.
- Information about initiatives that councils have used to successfully raise awareness about water safety, water safety key messages to promote and links to useful water safety resources are now in the Practice Note.
- Councils play a crucial role in promoting water safety and ensuring the risks associated with aquatic locations under their care and control are minimised.
- The Practice Note is widely recognised as an industry standard that helps councils take a risk management approach and make informed decisions about how they manage their water safety responsibilities.
Where to go for further information
- The Practice Note is available to download from the OLG website: www.olg.nsw.gov.au/content/water-safety
- Further information on the legislative and policy framework for water safety in NSW and water safety resources can be found on the NSW Government’s Water Safety website at: www.watersafety.nsw.gov.au.
Acting Chief Executive