18-02 – Supporting Joint Organisation success – Consultation on regulations and extension to the nomination deadline
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 18-02 / 16 February 2018 / Doc ID A581840||Contact: JO Team Tel: 02 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: 16-25, 15-28, 14-30, 14-24||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Regional NSW Councillors and General Managers||Action required: Consider and make submissions about Joint Organisations|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 18-02 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- With more than half of regional and rural NSW councils having already resolved to join a Joint Organisation (JO), results have been encouraging.
- A few councils have requested an extension and, to make it fair across the board, the NSW Government has decided to extend the period by which all councils must submit nominations to be part of a JO to 23 March 2018.
- Draft regulations to support Joint Organisations (JOs) and a Regulation Consultation Guide have been released for council consideration and feedback by 16 March 2018.
What this will mean for your council
- Regional and rural councils now have until 23 March 2018 to resolve to join a JO and submit their nominations to the Minister for Local Government.
- Councils are encouraged to review and provide feedback on proposed amendments to the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 by 16 March 2018.
- The Local Government (Amendment) Regional Joint Organisations Act 2017 was assented to on 30 November 2107.
- Consistent with feedback from councils over the past three years, the proposed regulations for JOs are minimal and designed to assist JOs to focus on their principal functions and operate in a way that best suits their region.
- Council resolutions are a critical input in the process of establishing JOs and OLG has provided relevant councils with Joint Organisations Resolution guidance and other information to support the nomination process.
- Councils should list all potential councils that they may form a JO with in their resolutions. This generally comprises councils in the same State planning region only. Far West Region councils may join a JO an adjacent region.
Where to go for further information
- Go to: www.olg.nsw.gov.au/joint-organisations-strengthen-regional-nsw
- Feedback on JO regulations should be provided via the online feedback form. Contact the JO Team on 02 4428 4100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acting Chief Executive