18-08 – Information about Rating 2018-19
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 18-08 / 20 March 2018 / A580394||Contact: Performance Team (02) 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: 17-09||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers / Council staff||Action required: Information / Council to Implement|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 18-08 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- The maximum Boarding House Tariffs for 2018-19 have been determined.
- The maximum interest rate payable on overdue rates and charges for 2018-19 has been determined.
- Section 603 Certificate fee for 2018-19 has been determined.
- The statutory limit on the maximum amount of minimum rates for 2018-19 has been determined.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils should incorporate these determinations into their 2018-19 rating structures and Operational Plan Statement of Revenue Policies.
Boarding House Tariffs 2018-19
- In accordance with section 516 of the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act), it has been determined that for the purpose of the definition of ‘boarding house’ and ‘lodging house’, the maximum tariffs, excluding GST, that a boarding house or lodging house may charge tariff-paying occupants are:
a) Where full board and lodging was provided:
$381 per week per room for single accommodation; or
$630 per week per room for family or shared accommodation.
b) Where less than full board and lodging is provided:
$255 per week per room for single accommodation; or
$423 per week per room for family or shared accommodation.
Maximum Interest on Overdue Rates and Charges
- In accordance with section 566(3) of the Act, it has been determined that the maximum rate of interest payable on overdue rates and charges for the 2018-19 rating year will be 7.5%.
- The methodology used to calculate the interest rate is the Supreme Court methodology (the Reserve Bank cash rate plus 6%), rounded to the nearest half per cent of the maximum interest rate for the previous year. The cash rate used for the purposes of the maximum interest rate for local government is based on the rate as at 6 February 2018.
Notice giving effect to these decisions will be published in the NSW Government Gazette
Section 603 Certificate.
Under section 603 of the Act, councils may issue a certificate as to the amount (if any) of rates, charges, etc., due or payable to the council for a parcel of land. Section 603(2) states the application must be accompanied by the approved fee. In accordance with the approved methodology, the approved fee for 2018-19 is determined to be $80.
- This determination applies to the issuing of a certificate for the matters specified in section 603(3) of the Act.
- Where a council offers to provide other information as an optional service, the council is not prevented from separately determining an approved fee for that additional service.
- Furthermore, a council is not prevented from determining approved fees for additional services required by an applicant for the expedited processing of a section 603 Certificate.
Statutory limit on the maximum amount of minimum rates
Following a recommendation by IPART, clause 126 of the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 has recently been amended, so as to provide:
- Under section 548(3)(a) of the Act the maximum amount of a minimum ordinary rate to be $526 for 2018-19.
- Under section 548(3)(b) of the Act the maximum amount of a minimum special rate will remain at $2.
Where to go for further information
- The NSW Legislation website at: www.legislation.nsw.gov.au
Acting Chief Executive