18-19 – Changes relating to the publication of notices
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 18-19 / 27 June 2018 / A598910||Contact: Council Governance / (02) 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: Nil||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers / All council staff||Action required: Information / Council to Implement|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 18-19 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- The NSW Parliament has passed the Statute Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2018, which contains a number of amendments to the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act).
- These amendments relate to the publication of notices, and enhance efficiency and flexibility for councils by:
o removing the requirement for certain notices to be published in newspapers
o allowing councils to determine the method of publication they will use to best bring a notice to the public’s attention.
What this will mean for your council
- The changes will affect the following matters within the Act:
o leases, licences and other estates in respect of community land (for terms of more than 5 years), section 47
o advertising of senior staff positions, section 348
o the alternative use of money raised by special rates or charges, section 410
o public consultation on proposals to establish alcohol free zones, section 644A
o the establishment, suspension or cancellation of alcohol free zones, section 644B and 645
o the publication of notices in the Gazette and elsewhere, section 707
o the service of notices on persons, section 710
o a notice of proposal to sell land, section 715.
- The changes take effect from 1 August 2018.
- Any requirement in the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 to publish a notice in a newspaper continues to apply.
- Councils will be advised of any changes to the Regulation when they occur.
Where to go for further information
- The Statute Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2018 can be viewed on the NSW Legislation website: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au.
Acting Chief Executive