18-22 – Release of the Charter for Public Participation – a guide to assist agencies and promote citizen engagement
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 18-22 / 22 August 2018 / A603486||Contact: Council Governance – 02 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: Nil||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers / All council staff||Action required: Information|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 18-22 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- The NSW Information and Privacy Commission has released its Charter for Public Participation – a guide to assist agencies and promote citizen engagement (the Charter).
- The Charter aims to assist NSW agencies to seek effective public input into the development and delivery of policies and services. The Charter also contains:
– a framework for developing a policy on public participation
– a guide to encourage, enable and embed effective citizen engagement in policy design and development
– a practical and flexible roadmap to guide agencies in embedding public participation in agency frameworks
– practical information, steps and tools for planning effective engagement with communities, and
– useful examples of successful public participation.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils may wish to consider the Charter in developing community engagement strategies to inform strategic planning, policy development and other decision-making.
- Community engagement is a key element of the work undertaken by councils. Under yet to commence amendments to the Local Government Act 1993, councils will be required to establish and implement a community engagement strategy for engagement with the local community when developing all plans, policies and programs and for the purpose of determining their activities (other than routine administrative matters).
Where to go for further information
- The Charter and further information is available at:
- Councils may also wish to contact the NSW Information and Privacy
Commission on 1800 472 679 or firstname.lastname@example.org.