18-24 – Status of the new Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW and Procedures
|Category: Circular to Councils
|Circular Details: 18-24 / 05 September 2018 / A618429
|Contact: Council Governance Team – (02) 4428 4100
|Previous Circular: 17-30
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers / Complaints Coordinators / Conduct Reviewers
|Action required: Information
|Council Circular 18-24 – PDF
What’s new or changing
- The new 2018 Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW (the Model Code) and Procedures for the Administration of the Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW (Procedures) have been finalised and will soon be prescribed by the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005.
- The Minister for Local Government has released the soon to be prescribed Model Code and Procedures for the information of councils, joint organisations and code of conduct practitioners. Copies of the new Model Code and Procedures are available on the Office of Local Government’s (OLG) website at www.olg.nsw.gov.au.
What this will mean for your council
- The new Model Code and Procedures have been released so that councils, joint organisations and code of conduct practitioners can familiarise themselves with the new provisions ahead of their prescription.
- Councils and joint organisations cannot adopt the new Model Code and Procedures until they are prescribed as the legislative framework needs to be in place to support their adoption.
- OLG will provide more detailed guidance when the new Model Code and Procedures are prescribed.
- The new Model Code and Procedures will shortly be prescribed by the Regulation.
- After the new Model Code and Procedures are prescribed, councils and joint organisations will have six months to adopt a new code of conduct and associated procedures that meet the new requirements.
Where to go for further information
- For more information, contact the Council Governance Team by telephone on 02 4428 4100 or by email at email@example.com.