18-27 – Review of Privacy Code of Practice for Local Government
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 18-27 / 13 September 2018 / A618338||Contact: Information and Privacy Commission / 1800 472 679|
|Previous Circular:||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: General Managers / Relevant council staff||Action required: Response to Information and Privacy Commission|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 18-27 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- Councils are invited to provide comment to the Information and Privacy Commission’s (IPC’s) review of the Privacy Code of Practice for Local Government (the Code) by 30 September 2018.
What this will mean for your council
- The Code was gazetted on 1 July 2000. The Code has the effect of modifying Part 6 (the public register provisions) of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and the application of the Information Protection Principles as they apply to local government.
- The IPC is reviewing the Code to determine whether it continues to meet the needs of councils. In particular, advice is sought from councils to assess whether:
o councils are aware of and apply the Code’s provisions
o the provisions of the Code are relevant to the needs of councils
o the Code requires amendment or should be repealed
o there are other matters that should be considered for inclusion in a revised Code of Practice for Local Government
o any impacts for councils should the existing Code be repealed.
- Councils are requested to provide any comments or submissions to the review to email@example.com by 30 September 2018.
Where to go for further information
- The Code is available to view here.
- Further information on Codes of Practice is available on the IPC website www.ipc.nsw.gov.au
- Contact the Information and Privacy Commission at 1800 472 679.