18-31 – Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation Guidelines and Process for 2019-20
What’s new or changing
- The timetable for 2019-20 Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation applications has been released.
- The Guidelines that apply to 2019-20 Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation applications have been published.
What this will mean for your council
- All eligible councils intending to apply for a Special Variation or Minimum Rate Variation in 2019-20 should contact IPART well in advance of submitting an application.
- The Guidelines outline the process for all eligible councils seeking to apply for a special or minimum rate variation for 2019-20.
- IPART has set the 2019-20 rate peg at 2.7%. Council applications need to reflect the actual 2019-20 rate peg. Councils should assume the rate peg for 2020-21 and in future years is 2.5%.
- New councils (except for MidCoast Council) are not eligible for a special or minimum rate variation for the 2019-20 rating year.
- Councils are to submit requests for a Crown Land Adjustment to the Office of Local Government.
- The timetable for the 2019-20 Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation applications is outlined within this circular. Please note, this timetable is not be included in the Guidelines and will only be communicated via this circular.
2019-20 Application Timetable
30 November 2018 Notifications for Special Variation or Minimum Rate variation applications due to IPART
11 February 2019 Special Variation applications due to IPART
11 March 2019 Minimum Rate Variation applications due to IPART
14 May 2019 Determinations announced for Special Variations and Minimum Rate Variations
Where to go for further information
- The Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation Guidelines are available on the Office’s website under Rating and Special Variations in the Directory of Policy advice. https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/strengthening-local-government/supporting-and-advising-councils/directory-of-policy-advice/rating-and-special-variations
- Any enquiries regarding the application process should be directed to one of the following IPART staff:
Scott Chapman (02) 9290 8449
Matthew Edgerton (02) 9290 8414
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org