19-06 – Changes to emergency services funding arrangements
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 19-06 / 08 May 2019 / A644248||Contact: State Insurance Regulatory Authority \ 02 9289 1352|
|Previous Circular: Nil||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Mayors/ Councillors / General Managers||Action required: Information|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 19-06 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- The NSW Government has made changes to workers’ compensation to provide better protection for volunteer and career firefighters affected by work-related cancers.
- The reforms reflect existing arrangements in other States and will ensure those who provide vital community services receive adequate medical care and support.
- This will result in an increase in the cost of providing emergency services across the State, which will be shared, as per the usual funding arrangements between insurance providers, the State Government and local councils.
- The local government share will be 11.7% of the cost of the emergency services levy.
What this will mean for your council
- The increase will be included in the annual emergency services levy paid by councils, commencing 1 July 2019.
- Councils will be able to pay the emergency services levy in quarterly instalments which will lessen the impact of the increase. The first quarterly instalment is not due until 30 September 2019 which provides more time for councils to review their budgets
- The new emergency services levy amounts will vary between councils, depending on existing funding formulas.
- Councils should have already received a notice of assessment from Revenue NSW.
Where to go for further information
- Enquiries regarding the new legislative provisions should be directed to the State Insurance Regulatory Authority on 02 9289 1352.
- Enquiries in relation to emergency services levy notices of assessment should be directed to Revenue NSW on 1300 139 817 or ESL@revenue.nsw.gov.au.
- Information on the changes is also available on the Revenue NSW website.