19-30 Review of Impounding Act 1993 and Release of Discussion Paper
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 19-30 / 17 December 2019 / A685370||Contact: Policy Team – 02 4428 4100 or email@example.com|
|Previous Circular: Nil||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers||Action required: Council to Note|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 19-30 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
• The NSW Government has announced the first comprehensive review of the Impounding Act 1993 since it commenced (the Act).
• The Minister for Local Government, the Hon. Shelley Hancock MP, is inviting public submissions on a Discussion Paper to inform the review.
What this will mean for your council
• Councils are invited to provide feedback on the Discussion Paper to help ensure that impounding laws remains fit for purpose into the future.
• The Act aims to provide councils and other authorised public land managers with impounding powers to minimise health, safety and amenity issues caused by items and animals being abandoned in public and on private property.
• Feedback on the Discussion Paper received from councils and others will help the NSW Government to shape next steps in the review, including any proposals for reform.
• The deadline for submissions is Friday 20 March 2020.
• The Discussion Paper asks a series of strategic and operational questions to inform the review. Responses can be provided using the proforma at the end of the Discussion Paper or via the Survey Monkey website at www.surveymonkey.com/r/impoundingactreview.
Where to go for further information
• Further information on the review is available on the Office of Local Government’s website at www.olg.nsw.gov.au/impounding-act-1993-review, or by contacting the Policy Team on 02 4428 4100.
Local Government, Planning and Policy