21-37 Amendments to the Public Health Order relating to voting at the 2021 local government elections
|Circular details||21-37 / 22 November 2021 / A798727|
|Previous circular||21-20 Postponement of the local government elections to 4 December 2021|
|Who should read this||Councillors / General Managers / All council staff|
|Contact||Council Governance Team / 02 4428 4100 / firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Action required||Information / Council to Implement|
|PDF version||21-37 Amendments to the Public Health Order relating to voting at the 2021 local government elections|
What’s new or changing
- The Public Health (COVID-19 General) Order 2021 (the Public Health Order) has been amended by the Public Health (COVID-19 General) Amendment Order (No 8) to clarify the operation and application of the Public Health Order to voting and other activities at the local government elections.
- The Public Health order and the amendment to it are available here.
What this will mean for your council
- Among other things, the amended order provides the following:
- Masks remain compulsory in an indoor area of premises other than a place of residence, including premises being used as a polling place or voting centre.
- Unvaccinated persons may attend premises being used as a polling place or voting centre that would normally be closed to unvaccinated persons to vote at, or participate in the conduct of, an election.
- Unvaccinated persons may participate in an outdoor public gathering of more than 2 persons if they are voting at, or participating in the conduct of, an election.
- In areas subject to a stay at home order, it is a reasonable excuse to be away from a person’s place of residence to attend a polling place or voting centre to vote at, or participate in the conduct of, an election. Currently, no areas are subject to a stay at home order.
Where to go for further information
- For further information please contact the Council Governance Team on
02 4428 4100 or by email at email@example.com .