22-22 The development of guidelines and a model policy on the lobbying of councillors
|Circular No 22-22 / 8 August 2022 / A731312
|Who should read this
|Councillors / General Managers / All council staff
|Council Governance / (02) 4428 4100 / firstname.lastname@example.org
|Response to OLG
|22-22 The development of guidelines and a model policy on the lobbying of councillors
What’s new or changing
- In recent investigations, (Operation Dasha, Operation Eclipse and Operation Witney), the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) has considered the corruption risks associated with the lobbying of councillors and made corruption prevention recommendations.
- Among other things, ICAC has recommended:
- that the Office of Local Government (OLG), in consultation with the local government sector, develop guidelines to enhance transparency around the lobbying of councillors (ICAC has also made recommendations about the content of the guidelines), and
- that the Lobbying of Government Officials Act 2011 (the LOGO Act) is amended to ensure all provisions apply to local government.
- In response to ICAC’s recommendations, OLG is proposing to develop guidelines to enhance transparency around the lobbying of councillors. The guidelines will be issued under s 23A of the Local Government Act 1993.
- OLG is also developing a model policy on lobbying to support councils to implement the guidelines. If adopted by councils, the policy will operate to supplement the provisions of their adopted codes of conduct.
What this will mean for your council
- OLG is undertaking consultation with councils to seek their views on what should be included in the proposed guidelines and to identify existing best practice in the local government sector in managing corruption risks associated with the lobbying of councillors.
- OLG is also seeking the views of councils on whether the LOGO Act should apply to local government.
- To assist with the development of the guidelines and model policy, OLG is seeking the following from councils:
- councils’ views and suggestions on ICAC’s recommendations on the content of the proposed guidelines (set out in the attachment to this circular)
- suggestions on what issues, behaviours and risks need to be addressed in the guidelines and model policy
- information about what measures councils currently take to enhance transparency and promote honesty around the lobbying of councillors, and copies of or links to councils’ existing lobbying policies.
- Submissions may be made by email to email@example.com.
- Submissions should be labelled ‘Lobbying Guidelines’ and marked to the attention of OLG’s Council Governance Team.
- Submissions should be made by COB Monday 5 September 2022.
Where to go for further information
- Information about ICAC’s corruption prevention recommendations in relation to the lobbying of councillors is provided in the attachment to this circular.
- ICAC’s report on Operation Dasha is available here.
- ICAC’s report on Operation Eclipse is available here.
- ICAC’s report on Operation Witney is available here.
- Information on the operation of the LOGO Act is available here.
- Contact OLG’s Council Governance Team by telephone on 02 4428 4100 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org