22-23 Audit of written returns of interests
|Circular Details||Circular No 22-23 / 25 August 2022 / A826280|
|Who should read this||Councillors / General Managers / ‘designated persons’ / council governance staff|
|Contact||Investigations Team / 02 4428 4100 / email@example.com|
|PDF Version||22-23 Audit of written returns of interests|
What’s new or changing
- The Office of Local Government (OLG) will be undertaking an audit of written returns of interests lodged by councillors and designated persons.
What this will mean for your council
- Councillors, administrators, and other council officials (general managers, senior staff and other ‘designated persons’) should note that their written returns of interests may be subject to review as part of the OLG audit.
- Advance notice of the audit is being given to allow councillors, administrators, and designated persons the opportunity to ensure their returns are accurate and complete.
- Councils may wish to undertake their own review of returns to facilitate compliance, particularly to ensure all sections of the return have been completed, and that the return period and date are correct.
- Councillors and designated persons are required to lodge written returns of interest in accordance with the requirements set out in their council’s code of conduct.
- Councillors and designated persons are required to lodge a new return with their council’s general manager no later than 30 September 2022, unless exempt from doing so.
- A failure to correctly lodge and/or disclose interests is misconduct and can result in disciplinary action being taken.
Where to go for further information
- The OLG has issued guidance on the completion of disclosure of interest returns, which is available here.
- For more information about the completion of returns of interests, please contact OLG’s Council Governance Team by telephone on 4428 4100 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.