15-24 – 2015/16 Determination of the Local Government Remuneration Tribunal
What’s new or changing
- The Local Government Remuneration Tribunal has determined an increase to mayoral and councillor fees of 2.5% for the 2015/16 financial year, with effect from 1 July 2015.
What this will mean for your council
- Sections 248 and 249 of therequire councils to fix and pay an annual fee based on the Tribunal’s determination of 2.5% for the 2015/16 financial year.
- A council cannot fix a fee higher than the maximum amount determined by the Tribunal.
- If a council does not fix a fee, the council must pay the minimum fee determined by the Tribunal.
- The level of fees paid depends on what category the council is in. The Tribunal has reviewed the categories as part of its 2015 annual review and determined that no change to categories is warranted at this time.
Where to go for further information
- The Tribunal’s report and determination is available on the Office of Local Government’s website www.olg.nsw.gov.au and on the NSW Remuneration Tribunals’ website www.remtribunals.nsw.gov.au.