16-01 – New Local Government Act Development Consultation
What’s new or changing
- Consultation has commenced on the first phase of amendments to the Local Government Act 1993.
What this will mean for your council
- Details of proposed phase 1 amendments are available through the Fit for the Future website at www.fitforthefuture.nsw.gov.au, which also provides the opportunity to submit comments online.
- The Office invites feedback from councils and their communities on the proposed amendments via this online facility.
- Consultation on phase 1 amendments to the Local Government Act 1993 has commenced. The proposed amendments will:
o clarify roles and responsibilities of councillors, mayors, administrators and general managers;
o introduce new guiding principles for local government;
o improve governance of councils and professional development for councillors;
o expand on the framework for strategic business planning and reporting;
o prioritise community engagement and financial accountability; and
o streamline council administrative processes, including in relation to delegations and community grants.
- While the fundamentals of the Local Government Act 1993 remain sound, both the Independent Local Government Review Panel and Local Government Acts Taskforce recommended changes to modernise the legislation and to ensure it meets the future needs of councils and communities.
- Phase 1 of the reform program focuses mainly on changes to the governance and strategic business planning processes of councils. Phase 2 will focus on the way in which councils raise revenue and exercise their
- In the initial consultation stage, details of the phase 1 amendments to the Local Government Act 1993 will be available at the Fit for the Future website at www.fitforthefuture.nsw.gov.au with an opportunity to provide online feedback on those proposals.
- Consultation on phase 1 amendments to the Local Government Act 1993 will close on 15 March 2016.
Where to go for further information
- For more information, contact your Office of Local Government Relationship Manager.
Acting Chief Executive