16-08 – Approval of investigation services suppliers specified under NSW Procurement’s Performance and Management Services Prequalification Scheme for referrals of councils’ code of conduct complaints
What’s new or changing
- The Internal Audit Bureau (IAB) ceased operations in December 2015. It was previously approved as an alternative provider of conduct reviewers under clause 6.2(b) of the Procedures for the Administration of the Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW (Procedures).
- As an alternative provider of conduct reviewers, as Acting Chief Executive of the Office of Local Government, and in accordance with clause 6.2(b) of the Procedures, I have approved the investigation services suppliers list specified under the Performance and Management Services Prequalification Scheme administered by NSW Procurement, a business unit of the NSW Department of Finance, Services and Innovation.
What this will mean for your council
- General managers should bring this circular to the attention of their council’s complaints coordinator and any alternate complaints coordinators.
- Complaints coordinators may refer code of conduct complaints about councillors or the general manager to a supplier of investigation services specified under NSW Procurement’s Performance and Management Services Prequalification Scheme as an alternative to referring the complaint to a conduct reviewer selected from the council’s panel.
- Clause 6.2(b) of the Procedures allows complaints coordinators to refer code of conduct complaints to a conduct reviewer selected from a panel of conduct reviewers established by an organisation approved by the Chief Executive, as an alternative to referral to the panel established by the council.
- The Chief Executive’s decision to give approval to NSW Procurement’s Performance and Management Services Prequalification Scheme under clause 6.2(b) provides all councils with access to an alternative pool of conduct reviewers.
- In engaging an investigator under the scheme for referral of code of conduct matters, complaints coordinators should ensure that:
– they comply with the scheme guidelines; and
– investigators engaged under the scheme also meet the eligibility requirements for conduct reviewers as outlined in Part 3 of the Procedures.
Where to go for further information
- For further information about the use of NSW Procurement’s Performance and Management Services Prequalification Scheme, go to the Procurepoint website at www.procurepoint.nsw.gov.au or contact the NSW Procurement Client Support Centre on 1800 679 289 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Acting Chief Executive