16-15 – 2016/17 Determination of the Local Government Remuneration Tribunal
What’s new or changing
- The Local Government Remuneration Tribunal (the Tribunal) has determined an increase of 2.5% to mayoral and councillor fees for the 2016/17 financial year, with effect from 1 July 2016.
What this will mean for your council
- Sections 248 and 249 of the Local Government Act 1993 require councils to fix and pay an annual fee based on the Tribunal’s determination of 2.5% for the 2016/17 financial year.
- The level of fees paid will depend on what category the council is in.
- A council cannot fix a fee higher than the maximum amount determined by the Tribunal.
- If a council does not fix a fee, the council must pay the minimum fee determined by the Tribunal.
Where to go for further information
- The Tribunal’s report and determination is available on the Office of Local Government’s website www.olg.nsw.gov.au and on the NSW Remuneration Tribunal’s website www.remtribunals.nsw.gov.au
Acting Chief Executive