16-23 – Stand for your community guide and candidate diversity strategy publications
What’s new or changing
- A guide for candidates, stand for your community, and other resources have been prepared by the Office of Local Government, in collaboration with Local Government NSW, to ensure candidates reflect the diverse communities they represent. The resources will also assist prospective candidates in making informed decisions about standing for local government elections in September 2016.
What this will mean for your council
- Nominations for councils having elections this year are open from 1 August and close at noon on 10 August 2016.
- Councils are encouraged to use these materials to seek diverse and passionate individuals who are interested in representing their local community.
- Councils are encouraged to conduct candidate information sessions for prospective candidates.
- The Office has developed, for use by councils, a stand for your community brochure, three tailored stand for your community flyers and digital resources to support a social media campaign.
- Councils are encouraged to make use of these resources to attract a greater and more diverse group of candidates.
Where to go for further information
- The guide, flyers and other resources are available on the Office of Local Government’s website www.olg.nsw.gov.au.
Acting Chief Executive