16-24 – Section 355 committees
What’s new or changing
- Councils are encouraged to review the operations of committees established under section 355 of the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act).
- There have been several recent cases of section 355 committees failing to meet basic governance and accounting standards. This creates significant and ongoing risks for councils.
- Where councils delegate functions to section 355 committees, including the expenditure of council funds, it is important that the activities of these committees remain transparent and subject to critical oversight.
- Committees should be able to demonstrate clear links with the goals of the council’s Delivery Program, while meeting required standards of governance.
- Following the upcoming local government elections, councils are encouraged to review the operations of all section 355 committees to ensure they continue to be fit for purpose, and their functions and expenditures align with the goals of the incoming council’s Delivery Program.
Where to go for further information
- For further information on the obligations of section 355 committees, contact the Office’s Council Governance Team on 02 4428 4100.
Acting Chief Executive