17-33 – GIPA Annual Reporting Obligations
What’s new or changing
- Councils are reminded of the requirement to submit their annual report to the Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) on the council’s bligations under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act).
What this will mean for your council
- Councils are required to submit their annual reports to the IPC by 31 October 2017, in order to meet requirements under section 125 of the GIPA Act and Clause 7 of the GIPA Regulation.
- Early submission of reports is encouraged wherever possible to enable the timely preparation of the Information Commissioner’s statutory report to Parliament on the operation of the GIPA Act.
- All agencies are encouraged to use the IPC GIPA Tool to submit annual GIPA reports even if they choose not to use the GIPA Tool to manage applications. Using the GIPA Tool will help ensure the data reported to Parliament is of high quality and is comprehensive.
- To assist Councils to use the GIPA Tool to submit their annual GIPA reports, IPC has published two resources:
Where to go for further information
- To register for the GIPA Tool, please visit the IPC website: http://www.ipc.nsw.gov.au/ipc-gipa-tool.
- Contact the Information and Privacy Commission at 1800 472 679 or email email@example.com.
- Contact the Office of Local Government’s Council Governance Team on 4428 4100.
Acting Chief Executive