19-13 The development of template social media and councillor/staff interaction policies – initial consultation
What’s new or changing
- In support of the prescription of the new Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW, the Office of Local Government (OLG) is developing template policies on social media use and councillor/staff interactions.
- The template policies will be designed to be policies that incorporate and reflect best practice in the sector using a “best of breed” approach to existing council policies.
- The template policies will not be mandatory and councils will be free to choose whether to use them or to adapt them for their own purposes. If adopted, the policies will operate to supplement the provisions of councils’ adopted codes of conduct.
- OLG is inviting councils to identify other template governance policies they would like OLG to develop.
What this will mean for your council
- To assist in the development of template policies, OLG is seeking the following from councils:
- copies of or links to councils’ policies on social media use;
- copies of or links to councils’ councillor/staff interaction policies; and
- suggestions on what issues and behaviours should be addressed in each of the template policies.
- OLG is also inviting submissions from councils on what other template governance policies they would like to see OLG develop for their use.
- Submissions may be made by email to email@example.com.
- Submissions should be labelled ‘Template Policy Consultation’ and marked to the attention of OLG’s Council Governance Team.
- Submissions should be made by COB Friday 26 July 2019.
- Information gathered during the initial consultation will be used to develop drafts of the template policies.
- OLG will consult further with the sector on the drafts of the template policies.
Where to go for further information
- Contact OLG’s Council Governance Team by telephone on 02 4428 4100 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Secretary Local Government, Planning and Policy