Guidelines for the appointment and oversight of general managers
Guidelines have been issued under section 23A of the Local Government Act 1993 to assist councillors when performing their functions under the Act relating to the appointment of general managers and overseeing their performance.
They provide guidance on:
- the role of the general manager and the importance of a good working relationship between councillors and the general manager
- the recruitment process and the appointment of a general manager
- day to day oversight of and liaison with the general manager
- the performance review process
- separation, and
- renewal of the general manager’s contract.