Guidelines on the recruitment of senior council executives
Guidelines have been issued under section 23A of the Local Government Act 1993 on the recruitment of senior executive roles in councils.
The Guidelines provide guidance on the following topics:
- merit selection in recruitment processes
- the development of staff capabilities and the use of internal recruitment processes
- the need for councils to have recruitment policies
- the use of recruitment/human resources specialists when recruiting for senior executive roles
- the use of subject matter experts when recruiting for senior executive roles
- the role of internal audit in auditing recruitment processes
- the role of councillors in the recruitment of staff
- consultation with councillors on “senior staff” appointments, and
- reporting wrongdoing in recruitment processes.