This page contains important resources for Council Crown land managers including:
- Key information about the transition process (including initial categorisation and developing plans of management for Crown reserves)
- Native title manager information
- Background information
Key information about the transition process
The following section provides councils with key information about the transition process as well as leasing and licensing in the transition period (ie: until 30 June 2021 or a council adopts a plan of management for a Reserve).
It also contains a step by step guide to assist councils to undertake the transition process, providing guidelines, forms and training material about classification, initial categorisation and the development of plans of management for Crown reserves.
DPIE – Crown Lands has developed a Transition Guide to help local councils currently appointed to manage reserve trusts understand the changes for trusts and how to make any required corporate transition to the new arrangements.
Included in this document are:
- Understanding the changes: an overview of the transition changes and requirements for managers
- Transition checklist: a step-by-step checklist with supporting templates to help managers implement the transition activities. The checklist is provided as a guidance tool only and is not compulsory.
The Transition Guide can be downloaded here:
- Transition Guide – PDF
Lease and license fact sheets and templates
DPIE – Crown Lands has revised their guidance to assist councils to understand leasing and short-term licencing arrangements under the transitional provisions of Crown Land Management Act 2016.
The Lease and Licence Fact Sheet which consolidates a number of earlier factsheets can be downloaded here:
- Lease and Licence Fact Sheet – this fact sheet outlines the general lease and licence provisions introduced in 2018.
Additionally, DPIE – Crown Lands has developed the following templates for the use of Council Crown Land Managers in the transition period:
- Council CLM LEASE template – DOCX
- Council CLM LICENCE template – DOCX
- Council CLM SHORT-TERM LICENCE template – DOCX
Further information about leasing and licensing on Crown Reserves can be found at the following DPIE – Crown Lands webpage.
Step by step guide to classification, initial categorisation and developing plans of management for crown reserves
Councils much follow a four step process in transitioning to the new legislative framework.
Note: the table is the same as the previous version of the webpage
Native title and native title manager information
The primary source of information for councils regarding Native title and the role of Native title managers is the DPIE – Crown Lands Native Title webpage.
This includes the Native Title Manager workbook, which is the key guidance document for Native Title Managers.
An online Native title manager e-learning resource has also been developed to increase knowledge of native title legislation as it applies to the management of Crown land and to help Crown Land Managers in providing native title advice.
This e-learning resource is a supplementary guidance tool to the approved native title training and the Native Title Manager Workbook. It is not a replacement of the approved native title manager training which all native title managers are required to complete.
The resource is available here https://nativetitlemanager.crownland.nsw.gov.au
The following summary documents are also relevant Council Crown Land Managers:
For an introduction to the Crown Land Management Act 2016 for council Crown Land managers please see the following resources:
- For council staff – GM and Senior Staff briefing – Crown Land Management Act overview webcast
- For councillors – Webinar Presentation on Crown Land Management Act changes for councillors – PDF
Specific technical resources are arranged in accordance with the steps that council Crown land managers must complete to lawfully manage their Crown reserves, as set out below.
Crown Land Manager Reserves Portal
Council Crown land managers can access the DPIE – Crown Lands – Crown land manager reserves portal
The Council Crown Land Managers newsletter is released periodically providing council staff with information about important events, resources and developments.
To register, please email: email@example.com.
- External Links
- Other Links
- Crown Land Management Regulation – April 2018
- A variety of other important resources for councils is available on the DPIE Crown Land Legislation webpage
- Deemed Consent Fact Sheet – provides information for councils and other Crown Land Managers regarding land owners consent and section 2.23 of the CLM Act.
- OLG Links