17-24 – Guidelines for Council When Notification of an Intention to use Fireworks is Received

Category: Circular to CouncilsStatus: Active
Circular Details: 17-24 / 30 August 2017 / A510222Contact: Policy Team / 02 4428 4100
Previous Circular: 08-66Attachments: Nil
Who should read this: General Manager / Planning / Corporate & Community ServicesAction required: Information
PDF Version:Council Circular 17-24 – PDF

What’s new or changing

  • SafeWork NSW has updated the 2008 Guidelines, which provide councils with a standard framework when deciding whether to raise an objection with SafeWork NSW about a fireworks display for which a council has received notification.

What this will mean for your council

  • Councils have responsibilities in the management and use fireworks in their local government area, and these have not changed.
  • The Explosives Regulation 2013 requires that as a condition of each pyrotechnician’s licence and fireworks (single use) licence issued, the licensee must notify the local council of an intention of use.
  • If council objects to an application, it must inform the licensee and SafeWork NSW, which has responsibility for the licensing conditions of fireworks.
  • These Guidelines are issued under s23A of the Local Government Act 1993, and councils must consider the Guidelines after receiving a fireworks notification.

Key points

  • Councils must report objections and late applications for the intention to use any firework to SafeWork NSW.
  • Pyrotechnician’s or fireworks licences are issued by SafeWork NSW by way of the Explosives Regulation 2013.
  • It is a condition of each pyrotechnician’s licence that a notified fireworks display is not to proceed if:
    • any authorities (such as local council, NSW Police Force, Fire & Rescue NSW) that are notified of the display raise objections to the display; and
    • the licensee has not been able to resolve the objections with the authority.

Where to go for further information

Tim Hurst
Acting Chief Executive