Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content

Forms - FAQs - How To

  • See forms in related downloads at right of page
  • See NSW Pet Registry Owner and Breeder User Guide and FAQs in related downloads at right of page


Using the NSW Pet Registry

The NSW Pet Registry is an online database of microchipped and registered cats and dogs that live in NSW.

All existing microchipped cats and dogs that have previously been contained within the Companion Animals Register are available via the new Pet Registry.

Up-to-date pet registration enables lost pets to be returned home.

To make a start on the NSW Pet Registry you need to create an owner profile.


By creating a profile on the NSW Pet Registry you will be able to:  

  • update your contact details such as a change of address;
  • transfer ownership of your pet;
  • report your pet as missing or deceased;
  • pay most lifetime registration fees online.

To read a step-by-step guide on how to use the Pet Registry, download the NSW Pet Registry - Pet Owner & Breeder User Guide and FAQ’s on the right-hand side of this page.

The ‘frequently asked questions’ section of the guide is also provided below.

The Pet Registry can be found at

 Please note:

  • Pet owners that do not have an email address or access to a computer or for any other reason wish to complete paper forms, can still do so at a local council to register or update their pet’s details on the Pet Registry.
  • People with assistance dogs or working dogs will also need to register their dogs in person at their local council. 


Frequently asked questions

General questions

My pet is already microchipped and registered, do I have to register again?

You don’t have to register again but you should create a ‘pet owner’ profile on the NSW Pet Registry. You can ‘claim’ your pets, which locks them to your profile and check that your contact details are up to date. This will help to ensure that your cat or dog can be returned home should it become lost or injured.

Check your registration is complete by ensuring that you have paid your once-only, lifetime registration fee.


My pet is already microchipped but I’ve never registered it. Do I also have to register it?

Yes. All dogs and cats that are required to be registered must have their identification (microchip) and registration (owner details etc) recorded on the NSW Pet Registry. If your pet is aged six months or older, the registration fee must also be paid.


Registering your details – create owner profile

What name should I use to register my pet?

You need to use your full legal name, as it appears on your Driver’s Licence, Medicare card or Australian passport. You will need one of these documents to verify your identity. Only one person can be listed as the register owner.


What address should I use to register my pet?

You should use your physical street address where your pet lives most of the time. You cannot use a PO Box. There will also be an opportunity to enter a separate address for postal purposes or a secondary address where your pet lives. When entering the address details, take care to use the ‘search address’ bar to retrieve the official property address as recorded with Land and Property Information NSW.


My address does not come up on the Pet Registry, what should I do?

If you are entering a physical address please make sure it is the property address as recorded on the NSW Land and Property Information Register.

If you are not able to enter a valid address on the online NSW Pet Registry you will need to complete the relevant paper form and lodge it with your local council. Forms are available from your council or can be accessed at

For rural properties, this may mean your official Rural Property Address rather than a property name or other name. This is not the same as your lot number. It will include a Rural Road Number, a Road Name and a Locality. If you do not know your Rural Property Address, please contact your local council.


How does Identity Verification work?

The identity of the person making the online profile will be validated through a Document Verification Service (DVS). When you make a user profile your Driver’s Licence, Medicare or passport number will be validated against the name and date of birth on these documents. Your Driver’s Licence, Medicare or passport numbers are not stored in the NSW Pet Registry or on the DVS.


When I tried to create an account, the password didn’t come through to my email?

Please check your junk mail or spam, as the email sometimes gets redirected by your mailbox to this location.


Claiming your pet

I don’t know my pet’s microchip number. What should I do?

Check your pet’s vaccination or sterilisation certificate or any other document provided by your vet that would contain the microchip number.

Contact your vet or local council as they may be able to assist over the telephone where you can provide information that clearly identifies you as the pet’s owner.

You may need to make arrangements to have your pet scanned by a vet or a council ranger.  They will be able to provide you with a Verification of Existing Microchip Form containing the microchip number implanted in your pet. 


What if I cannot find my pet on the Registry?

If you are unable to find your pet, it is possible that the wrong microchip number has been used to register your pet. Please contact your local vet and have your pet scanned – he or she will be able to look up your pet’s details on the NSW Pet Registry and, if the microchip number is wrong, give you a Verification of Existing Microchip Form to lodge at your local council. This will enable council to correct the information on the Registry, allowing you to claim your pet.


The ‘Claim Pet’ function does not work for me.  What should I do?

Your pet’s microchip number and ownership details must correspond with your details in order to match them to your online profile. Specifically, you must match the name and contact number you used when your pet’s record was entered or updated in the Pet Registry.

For example, Mr Mathew Smith is the owner of ‘Jed’ a Labrador cross.  As the owner of ‘Jed’ is recorded as Matt Smith on the Registry, Mr Smith will not be able to claim ‘Jed’ to his profile.

If your profile details do not match the name and address on the Registry for your pet, you will need to update the Registration by completing an update details form, available at the Forms tab on the left-hand side of this page (or obtained from your local council) and lodge it with your local council.

You will also need to know your pet’s microchip number.

Alternatively, you may need to submit a Statutory Declaration to a council that will prove you own your pet/s.

If you are still not able to ‘claim’ your pet please call the Pet Registry Technical Assistance Line on 1300 134 460 between 9:00am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday.


Transferring your pet to a new owner

What happens if a new owner does not ‘accept’ the pet?

A pet’s details remain visible in the old owner’s profile until the pet is claimed by the new owner. The status of a transferred pet changes from ‘Home’ to Home-Transfer’ until the new owner claims the pet online. Once claimed the pet is removed from the old owner’s profile and locked to the new owner’s profile with status ‘Home’.

You may wish to contact the new owner to remind them to claim their new pet online or contact a local council for assistance. Local councils can change the status of a pet in certain circumstances.

Owners should create profiles so their pets can be returned home if lost stolen or injured.


My dog is declared menacing, dangerous, or is a restricted breed. Can I transfer ownership?

No. Selling or giving away a dog that has been declared menacing, dangerous or restricted is prohibited under the Companion Animals Act 1998 and penalties apply. Owners of these dogs should contact their local council for further information.


What are the registration fees for pets?

All cats and dogs should be registered by six months of age. Registration fees are valid for the lifetime of each pet and do not need to be renewed each year. A list of current registration fees is available on the Office of Local Government website at


When are registration fees due?

A registration certificate will only be generated online or provided by a local council when the registration fee has been paid. If the pet’s owner has created an online profile and claimed the pet (so it is registered in their name), the date when registration fees are due appears on the owner’s Homepage, along with a link to where fees can be paid online.


Is there a charge for making an online payment?

A small charge of 0.40% is levied for online registration. This covers bank service transaction costs.


How will discounted registration for animals sold from eligible pounds and shelters work?

Pet owners will still be entitled to half price registration if they buy a pet from a pound or shelter (50 per cent of the general registration fee) and will be able to register online. To pay registration fees online, the record of these animals will be marked on the NSW Pet Registry with an ‘eligible pound/shelter’ flag. If you pet’s record has not been flagged you should present you receipt of purchase to your local council. The discount is only valid if the pet is desexed at the time the registration fee is paid. The desexed flag on the pet’s record can be updated by a vet on the Registry.


Updating your pet’s details

How do I report my pet as missing or that he/she has passed away?

To report a missing pet online, the owner needs to update the pet’s details using the ‘update’ link on the Homepage. The ‘update’ link should also be used to notify that your pet has passed away.

Vets can also make these notifications on the Registry on your behalf.

Please refer to ‘Update your pet details’ in the Pet Owner & Breeder User Guide and FAQ’s.


How can you tell if a pet is registered before you buy it?

All pets should be microchipped and registered when you buy them, but the registration fees may not be paid.

A prospective buyer will not be able to see registration details online. To find out whether registration fees have been paid, you should ask the seller to show you a registration certificate for the animal. These cannot be obtained until payment has been made.


I have been given a kitten/puppy, what do I need to do?

In NSW, all cats and dogs must be microchipped and the registration information entered on the NSW Pet Registry by 12 weeks of age or before being sold or given away, whichever happens first.

You’ll need to know the microchip number to update the pet’s details on the Registry. If you don’t know the number or if it is not microchipped take the puppy or kitten to your vet.

To complete the registration of your pet you will need to update the ownership details and pay the once only lifetime registration fee. The registration fee is required to be paid by the time your pet reaches six months of age.

If your pet is already registered it is important to update the owner and contact details on the Registry. See FAQ “General questions” about how to claim your pet online.

The NSW Pet Registry can be accessed at 

If you do not have access to a computer you can register your pet at your local council.


Trouble Shooting

Why won’t the Pet Registry work on my computer?

The NSW Pet Registry has been developed to work on internet browsers Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari. However, the NSW Pet Registry website will not work on older versions of Internet Explorer or Chrome that are no longer supported by Microsoft. You may need to switch to a compatible browser for the purposes of using the NSW Pet Registry.

Click on the links on the right to download the relevant forms. 

To order copies of any publications, please click here to submit your order on-line.

Alternatively, complete the offline form and fax it to Fuji Xerox Document Management Solutions Pty Limited on 02 9612 8605.


Back to top