Accessing Council Information

You can apply for access to information held by your local council under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (the GIPA Act).

If you would like to apply for access to information held by a council in NSW, you need to apply directly to the relevant council. Contact the council concerned to find out more about the process for seeking access to information through GIPA.

Further information about accessing information that is not publically available can be found on the Information and Privacy Commission’s website at

If you have made a GIPA application to a council and are unhappy with their response, you should contact the NSW Information and Privacy Commission.

page header


Information and Privacy Commission

Resolving a problem with your council