17-14 – Elections for councils affected by merger proposals on 9 September 2017
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 17-14 / 15 June 2017 / A544587||Contact: Council Governance Team – 02 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: 16-26 & 16-44||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers / All Council Staff for the 46 councils with elections on 9 September 2017||Action required: Information|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 17-14 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- On 7 April 2017 the Minister for Local Government, the Hon. Gabrielle Upton MP, issued an order under section 318C(1) of the Local Government Act 1993 nominating 9 September 2017 as the date on which elections will be held for councils that are the subject of pending and discontinued merger proposals.
- First elections for new councils formed by the 2016 mergers (and for the Hills Shire) are also to be held on 9 September 2017.
- A complete list of all councils holding elections on 9 September 2017 is attached to this Circular.
What this will mean for your council
- All councils identified in the attachment to this Circular should take all necessary steps to prepare for elections on 9 September 2017.
- As was the case with the September 2016 Local Government Elections, the NSW Electoral Commission will be undertaking an information campaign to inform electors about which councils are holding elections on 9 September 2017 and of voting requirements for those elections.
- Importantly, in addition to this, councils holding elections on 9 September 2017 should take their own steps to inform voters in their areas of the requirement to vote. Councils may do so by way of:
- information placed on the council’s website
- media releases
- paid advertising
- social media.
- Voting is compulsory for all people enrolled in areas where elections are being held and fines apply for not voting.
- Information on which councils are holding elections on 9 September 2017 is available to the public on a dedicated website established by the NSW Electoral Commission at www.votensw.info. This website allows voters to check whether their council is holding an election on 9 September 2017 and their enrolment details.
Where to go for further information
- For more information relevant to councils that are holding elections on 9 September 2017, contact the NSW Electoral Commission or visit www.votensw.info.
- The Office of Local Government will be contacting councils conducting their own elections on 9 September 2017 to provide additional guidance on the administration of their elections.
- The Office of Local Government has issued further Circulars (17-11, 17-12 and 17-13) containing additional guidance for councils holding elections on 9 September 2017 in the lead up to the elections.
Acting Chief Executive