17-19 – Stand for your community – candidate guide and candidate diversity resources
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 17-19 / 5 July 2017 / A548907||Contact: Council Governance Team/02 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: 16-23||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: General Managers/council staff dealing with elections||Action required: Council Governance Team/02 4428 4100|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 17-19 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- The guide for candidates, Stand for your community, and other candidate diversity resources have been updated by the Office of Local Government (the Office) to assist prospective candidates in making informed decisions about standing for election to local government in 2017. The resources also aimed at encouraging candidates from diverse backgrounds to consider standing for election.
What this will mean for your council
- Nominations for councils having elections this year are open from 31 July and close at noon on 9 August 2017.
- Councils are encouraged to conduct candidate information sessions for prospective candidates and use these materials to seek diverse and passionate individuals who are interested in standing for council.
- The Office has developed a Stand for your community candidate guide, three tailored Stand for your community brochures and digital resources to support a social media campaign, including a social media video and infographics.
- Councils are encouraged to make use of these resources to attract a greater and more diverse group of candidates to stand for election in September 2017.
Where to go for further information
- The candidate guide, brochures and other digital resources are available on the Office’s website www.olg.nsw.gov.au
- Information for candidates is available from the NSW Electoral Commission’s website www.votensw.info
Acting Chief Executive