17-35 – Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation Guidelines and Process for 2018/19
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 17-35 / 9 November 2017 / A566474||Contact: Policy Team – 02 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: 16-48||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers / Council Finance and IP&R staff||Action required: Information|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 17-35 – PDF|
What’s new or changing
- The timetables for 2018/19 Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation applications have been released.
- The Guidelines that apply to 2018/19 Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation applications have been published.
What this will mean for your council
- New councils (except for Mid-Coast Council) will not be eligible to apply for a special or minimum rate variation for the 2018/19 rating year.
- The Guidelines outline the process for all other councils seeking to apply for a special or minimum rate variation for 2018/19.
- Councils should assume the rate peg for 2019/20 and in future years is 2.5%. IPART has advised that the rate peg for 2018/19 may be below 2.5% based on current information. When IPART releases the rate peg for 2018/19, councils should update their applications to reflect the actual 2018/19 rate peg.
- New councils (except for Mid-Coast Council) are not eligible for a special or minimum rate variation.
- Councils are to submit a request for a Crown Land Adjustment to the Office of Local Government.
- The timetable published in the Guidelines applies to Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation applications for 2017-18. In future years this timetable will not be included in the Guidelines and will only be communicated via circular.
2018/19 Application Timetable
|15 December 2017||Notifications for Special Variation or Minimum Rate variation applications due to IPART|
|12 February 2018||Special Variation applications due to IPART|
|12 March 2018||Minimum Rate Variation applications due to IPART|
|15 May 2018||Determinations announced for Special Variations and Minimum Rate Variations|
Where to go for further information
- The Special Variation and Minimum Rate Variation Guidelines are available on the Office’s website at Rating and Special Variations.
- All eligible councils intending to apply for a Special Variation or Minimum Rate Variation in 2018/19 should contact IPART well in advance of submitting an application.
- Any inquiries regarding the application process should be directed to an IPART staff member:
- Anthony Rush (02) 9113 7790
- Derek Francis (02) 9290 8421
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Acting Chief Executive